Tuesday, September 27, 2016

"Show Off"



Working Twice as Hard

As a black race, we've always had to work twice as hard as our Caucasian counterparts.  Even when we are given the same opportunities, blacks always have to work harder to get half of what they have.  If they get a 50% on a test, we have to get 100%.  If they work 20 hours a week on the job, we have to work 40 hours on the job, just to earn half of what they earn. It doesn't seem fair you say?  No, it doesn't.  But, this is how the world operates.

Black on Black Oppression or Plain Ole Envy

It's very unfortunate when one black person tries to oppress another through the means of put-downs, and inappropriate comments that are meant to make that person feel small and bad about their personal accomplishments.  I have personal experience with this, and it does not feel good.  As a black woman with multiple graduate degrees, it's still difficult for me to land a good enough position that will allow me to relax and enjoy life.  I'm still hustling, trying to land a full time position as an instructor.  I work hard to improve my skills and gain the experience that I feel will catapult me, not necessarily to the top but to the middle where I can be comfortable.

Unfortunately, there are individuals who I feel might not want me to succeed.  Every time I make an effort to improve my viability through hard work, such as investing time in my profession, going to professional developments, going on campus to prepare my lectures because of the work atmosphere it provides, I'm accused of "SHOWING OFF".  Every time I post my new status on Linked In or Facebook, I'm accused of "SHOWING OFF", by no one other than the person I expected to support me, who is also black.  Well, if being proud of my accomplishments is considered showing off, then I AM GUILTY.  Bring the handcuffs, arrest me and throw me in "Showing off " jail and throw away the key.

For years I worked hard in school, through it all, being a mother and a wife (although one might say I am not a good wife), but that's not the point.  The point is, I've worked hard to get where I am, and I'm not done going places.  I will always be ambitious, dedicated, and forward thinking.  You can't stop me. I'll stop when I'm dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment